Thursday, November 21, 2013

3 Simple and Essential Cookie Baking Tips

These bad boys just came out of the oven... Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip- Look delish?!?


With holiday baking season in full swing, I though I would share 3 cookie baking tips that I swear by.

First, I always use room temperature ingredients. I know, I know, this requires thinking ahead, but it is so worth it. Using ingredients like eggs, butter or other dairy products straight out of the fridge will cause lumpiness, and your batter or dough won't bind properly- no bueno! If you are taking the time to bake from scratch, set yourself up for success with this first crucial step. Take your butter and eggs out of the fridge 30 minutes to an hour before hand. You'll thank yourself later! Also, if you are looking for a more detailed explanation on this step, check out this Real Simple Article and Video.

Second tip, after you roll out your drop cookies, or cut your dough with a cookie cutter, pop the cookie sheet with the dough on it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. This prevents the butter from frying the bottom on your cookies and also helps bind the cookies. I have even found I sometimes get a plumper cookie with this step. Plump cookies make me very happy!

Lastly, I always use parchment paper (or you could use a Silpat). This not only makes clean up a cinch, but also helps cook the bottom of your cookies evenly, and prevents sticking. I've been know for baking all night long (literally, till 3 or 4 in the morning!)- so anything that makes clean up easier is necessary in my book!

Do you have a cookie baking tip that you swear by? Or do you completely disagree with my tips? I would love to hear it! Post it in the comments below!

Thanks for reading- and Happy Cookie Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment