Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Valentines Day Classic: Conversation Heart Cookies

I'm a sucker for Valentine's Day- I just love it. I love the sweets, the silly cards and giving my boyfriend his annual Valentine's Day themed boxers from The Gap. The same year that I started giving my man the boxers, I also started making him these cookies- Conversation Heart Valentines Cookies. He loves sugar cookies, and although I have blogged about them quite a bit, they are the cookie that I actually make most infrequently. So, I make a point to make him these every year.



I love making these cookies, because I finally have them down to a science. I was never quite good at piping font, until I discovered this trick of making a template. Here, I have provided step by step instructions on making your template and piping. You'll be making impressive conversation heart cookies in no time!

Here are the directions on how to make your own Template and Stencils...

  1. Choose your heart cookie cutter and measure. Mine were 3 inches wide and 3 inches tall.
  2. Created a word document and form columns  as wide as your cookie cutter.
  3. Type the phrases that you want to pipe on your cookies. Enlarge the font and make sure the phrases are no longer the cookie cutter's measured length (use the ruler on the left side margin).
  4. Also, be sure to space out the phrases on the document; put at least one or two lines by hitting the return button on your key pad. 
  5. Print and measure against your cookie cutter- you may need to adjust things here or there to make the phrases fit within your cookie cutter.
Great, you've make your basic template- Here's whats next
  1. Now place your cookie cutter over each phrase and trace.
  2. Cut out each heart
  3. Your stencils are ready!


You're ready to pipe-- your cookies have cooled and you've piped your heart cookie in one sold color and let it set. The frosting needs to be almost completely set before working with your stencil.

  1. Place your stencil on top of the cookie and center it. 
  2. Using a tooth pick or push pin, trace the phrase by gently poking holes along the word or phrase. 
  3. Lift the stencil and you should see tiny dots that form your word or phrase.
  4. Pipe and trace the dots you created with the stencil and you will have stunning Conversation Heart Cookies!

Though this seems like alot of steps, its pretty simple and the results are gorgeous! I swear all your friends and lovers will be impressed! 



If you're feeling like experimenting, I love free-handing cursive and making these cookies look super fancy- give it a try!



Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment